Upon first starting this website I also started something I called The Aubreyad Press Gang to do a group read of the series. We got through the first and second novels before the project fell by the wayside, but the discussion questions remain. Perhaps someday the APG will set sail once more…
April 19, 2010 – April 25, 2010
The Aubreyad Press Gang Epic Adventure Week One
1. First Voyagers: What are your first impressions of M&C? The writing, the characters, everything!
Old Hands: As best you can recall, what were your first impressions of M&C? How is it different this time through?
2. Jack and Stephen’s first meeting is far from cordial. Are there any hints that they’re far better suited to be friends than it might seem? What are they? If you met someone in this way in real life, would you ever think you’d become close?
3. Captain Harte suspects Jack of carrying on an intrigue with his wife. Do you have the same suspicions? Why or why not? What does Harte’s suspicion say about his own character? About Jack’s?
4. Why does Jack love the Sophie, and what does that say about him?
5. Jack mentions the Genereux, a ship he has brought in. She was a real ship of her time, and the action also took place in real life. This is the first time O’Brian uses the exploits of Thomas, Lord Cochrane (later the 10th Earl of Dundonald) as blueprint for Jack’s actions. How do you feel about O’Brian using real action by adapting it to the book?
Questions by your captain and esteven.